Most chimney fires are preventable. Regular inspection and cleaning of chimney flues will help prevent fires within chimneys.
Reduce your chances of having a fire in your chimney by following these simple steps.
- Sweep the chimney before use if you haven't used it for some time
- Ensure a fireguard is in front of the fire at all times
- Sparkguards can prevent a serious property fire
- Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house
For more information on chimney fires click here.
Hampshire Fire & Rescue recommend the following:
Solid Fuel Appliances
Swept once a year for smokeless fuel and twice for coal.
Wood Burning Appliances
Swept every three months when in use.
Once every year if designed for sweeping.
Oil Fired Appliances
Once per year.
Carbon Monoxide (The Silent Killer)
For more detail please click here.
Too many people die each year in the UK from Carbon Monoxide poisoning and many become chronically ill. With symptoms including headaches and drowsiness, it is often confused with the flu. For symptoms and treatments of carbon monoxide poisoning click here.
Gas stoves, fires and boilers, gas powered water heaters, solid fuel stoves, wood burners, boilers and water heaters are all capable of producing Carbon Monoxide if not appropriately installed and maintained.
Carbon Monoxide can seep into properties via shared flues or chimneys and can even permeate through brick walls and plaster. This is how you may be poisoned in your own home by Carbon Monoxide from properties next door. That is why it is important to ensure your appliances are working properly and that as a second line of defence you have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm installed.
A few simple steps, including an annual safety check by the relevant professional and getting your chimney swept, using a CO alarm could all help prevent needless deaths.
If you use a solid fuel burning appliance you should have your chimney swept at least once a year, as birds' nests, falling stonework and rubble, also spider webs and leaves can block chimneys and stop or reduce the flow of air. Any blockage can alter the combustion balance or can cause carbon monoxide to enter the home instead of being safely vented from the property outside.
If you have any concerns regarding Carbon Monoxide or you require any of our services, please do not hesitate to contact us today.